Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Experience Final Draft

Dear Eric Bishop,

Im writing to you to thank you for the zen-like example you had. Through ought the time you were my coach your leadership had pushed me to excel beyond that of my fellows. For your constantly improving my faults, and for teaching me to be a smarter player rather than a more skilled one. Your devotion to the team is something i will always carry with me everywhere I go in life, and it is a lesson that I too will try to impass to others.

Even when I've never met you your name was mentioned by all the Little League coaches and by current and former players. You were the titan in midst of the ants in these tales. I was anxious when fall had started because after the entire summer and winter I still had not seen your face, but the dominating presence over the other coaches and the players was something I had expected, but had not experienced and it overwhelmed me. I remember the end of the winter conditioning and the coaches told the players to sit in a circle and introduce themselves when called upon. Quiet I sat awaiting roll call and to gauge your reaction to me. I will never forget the first words we had spoken to each other.
"Steven......what are you a junior?" -he questioned
"No coach, only a freshman." -I calmly replied
"Huh, well no shit." -he said
Overjoyed, I couldn't help but smile. Had I impressed the great coach Bishop? Turns out I didn't impress him as much as I thought. Later I came to realize that I learned that to impress you actions would speak much louder than words.

It took all of freshman year to understand how you structured practices out on the baseball field, but once the flow was there the drills became somewhat second nature to me. Everything from ground hits around the infield to running situations for outfield hits. You taught me the plays, and the outcomes of almost every senario that baseball had to offer, something I had never begun to think about. To think ahead several plays and determine the best course of action in a second, those kind of skills do not leave a person, and even in life outside the diamond I exlempifed your tutelage and succeeded without much effort. Like playing a constant game of chess, always calculating and never resting.

By the time my sophomore year hit I was part of the team. I spent all freshman year sitting the bench over the other star catcher and I think I played a whole 6 innings the whole season. I was a little upset, but everyday in practice i had enjoyed learning new techniques and becoming that much closer to a spot. My second year I had to give up catching to play first base. I enjoyed first base more than I did catching, but learning the "inside scoop" all freshman year really helped. The beginning of the season though I had done something stupid and broke my hand. Again I sat the bench with no hope of playing all season. Most people would complain and be completly distrought at this, but strangely I just found enjoyment being on the field. I have partly you to blame for that, but mostly myself. You inspired me to stay on the team even though I couldn't contribute much to the team. That kind of dedication has always been with me.

You were the only person I hated to leave behind in baseball when I left. You were the light in the dark for me. Dealing with the thick-headedness and stubborness of the other players really began to drone on me. I had found a better life in running and I do not regret leaveing, but I sometimes wonder what else I could have learned from you if I had stayed. I feel there is nothing I can do to repay you for your lessons, but I suppose as being a teacher it is what you would have wanted. I can never thank you enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment